Director of Product
JustFund is a nonprofit grantmaking solution providing philanthropy with a new kind of giving experience: one that is values-aligned, rooted in equity, and built on trust. JustFund is the only nonprofit grantmaking solution designed by funders and organizers of color. We leverage a custom-built technology to ensure values-aligned funders can easily center equity in their grantmaking.
We fund transparently and move critical resources to chronically underfunded groups. We are looking for a candidate who is excited about working with funders to move money to the movement. You will need to be values-aligned, highly organized, bring exceptional user management skills, and be committed to centering equity and service in every engagement.
We are seeking a highly skilled and values-aligned Director of Product. If you have deep experience in the tech sector and a passion for creating transformative impact, we want to hear from you!
The Director of Product will lead strategy and implementation around product development. Working directly with the Founder and CEO and reporting to the Chief Operating Officer, you will act as both a technology and business expert, oversee deployment of resources, and establish the product vision and growth plans. You will also lead system and quality assurance processes to ensure the protection of our assets while maintaining and evolving technology needs. For this role, we are seeking a candidate who will join our Executive leadership team and manage internal and external product teams. You will support our growth strategy by ensuring our technology supports expansion of existing customer relationships, anticipating current and future needs, developing new business opportunities, and cultivating partner relationships.
This position is remote and will be regularly interfacing with US-based team members across multiple time zones.
Oversee Technical Strategy and Vision
- Develop the winning technical strategy for our startup that will make our vision a reality, including ensuring our technical strategy aligns with JustFund’s overall business objectives.
- Drive, design, and implement JustFund technology strategy, while ensuring quality tech standards across the organization.
- Manage the existing tech stack in order to continue to build and scale our product and guide the overall technical vision.
- Oversee JustFund’s hardware and server infrastructure and manage which internal technologies are adopted and implemented.
- Serve as the public face and personality of JustFund representing the technical endeavors of our company to inspire trust in the product we are building. This includes engaging in speaking opportunities, conferences, and helping to showcase JustFund and our work.
- Make strategic recommendations and present business advantages for technology improvements and innovations.
- Act as a technology expert, who can work side by side with our CEO to help make decisions that will help lead JustFund into its early majority stage and beyond.
Optimize the JustFund Portal and User Experience
- Optimize existing JustFund systems, applications, and technological infrastructure and lead platform quality assurance processes.
- Oversee the data privacy and security compliance plans across all operations.
- Maintain a user-focused mindset while facilitating the delivery of development/IT projects to market.
- Manage a steady stream of innovation, ensuring new ideas can be tested and validated and quickly pivot toward or away from ideas based on viability.
- Collaborate cross departmentally managing priorities from various departments, including Customer Experience, ensuring we work toward a realistic product, manage expectations, and focus on what can be achieved in a timely manner, while prioritizing features that will have the most impact.
- Shape how the technical side of our feature developments are managed to ensure our business development and client services work run smoothly.
Manage Tech Team Financials and Lead Staff
- Make sound investments to align JustFund with its vision of maturating our technology, executing ongoing technology improvements, and scaling the company.
- Supervise internal Product staff members and manage an external team of consultants
- Identify our next key development hires in order to grow our team, act as a leader and mentor to product team members, and ensure projects are completed effectively.
- Facilitate existing partnerships with external development agencies and vendors.
- Consistently track performance in order to ensure high productivity within the tech team, work closely with the developers to see where they are finding success and understanding the challenges.
- Seek optimal improvement of the product by listening to ideas from developers and staff, advocating for innovative ideas, and finding paths to their implementation.
- Bachelor’s degree preferably in Computer Science, Business Administration, Engineering, or related field or equivalent experience.
- Demonstrated executive leadership roles showing a track record of tech innovation, creativity, design, development, implementation, and quality control. Typically this experience would include 8-10 years with organizational leadership. Prior CTO/Head of Product experience for a startup is a plus.
- Demonstrated experience in software architecture, app development, and with building digital products from early-stage to scaling and maturity.
- Excellent written, oral communication, and public speaking skills, including exuding confidence and instilling confidence in others, and deep comfort operating with C-suite executives.
- Experience successfully improving processes, managing contractual relationships, and demonstrating incredible understanding of customer and user behavior.
- Discerning insights into tech trends with the ability to speak about interrelated tech solutions such as cloud, networking, and security.
- Experience in, or a passion for, philanthropy, social justice organizing, advocacy, or movement building. Established relationships and networks within the philanthropy field is a plus.
- Prior experience in startups or a high level of comfort in a more disruptive, fast-paced environment with limited resources without sacrificing quality.
- Previous exposure to React, TypeScript, Node, MySQL, and experience with a variety of analytical tools, including Google Analytics.
Total Compensation (Salary and Benefits)
The Director of Product is a full-time position, and we offer a competitive and holistic total compensation package that includes salary and benefits. The annual salary budget for this position will be $150,000 - $200,000, commensurate with experience. All full-time staff are eligible for our benefits package including:
- Medical, vision, and dental insurance
- 401k plan
- Paid time off (including holidays and sick time)
- Wellness stipend
- Cell phone and internet stipend
- Home office equipment allowance
- Professional development stipend and access to professional development opportunities
How to Apply
Applicants should apply by clicking here.
Black people, people of color, indigenous people, women, femmes, gender noncomforming people, persons with disabilities, justice involved or formerly incarcerated people, and LGBTQIA+ people are particularly encouraged to apply.
We encourage individuals to submit their application for consideration even if they believe they do not have all of the preferred qualifications. We review applications on a rolling basis, and look forward to hearing from you.
JustFund is committed to having a values-driven, transparent, healthy, and collaborative culture. If the JustFund team can make the application process more accessible through accommodation in the recruitment process, please let us know by emailing [email protected].
Working With Us
At JustFund, we are committed to diversity, inclusion, and racial equity. JustFund is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate on the basis of actual or perceived race, color, creed, religion, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, age, sex or gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, lactation and related medical conditions), gender identity or gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, military service and veteran status, physical or mental disability, protected medical condition as defined by applicable state or local law, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws and ordinances. Our management team is dedicated to ensuring the fulfillment of this policy with respect to recruitment, hiring, placement, promotion, transfer, training, compensation, benefits, employee activities, access to facilities and programs, and general treatment during employment.