Director of Finance and Operations
JustFund is a nonprofit grantmaking solution providing philanthropy with a new kind of giving experience: one that is values-aligned, rooted in equity, and built on trust. JustFund is the only nonprofit grantmaking solution designed by funders and organizers of color. We leverage a custom-built technology to ensure values-aligned funders can easily center equity in their grantmaking.
We fund transparently and move critical resources to chronically underfunded groups. We are looking for a candidate who is excited about working with funders to move money to the movement. You will need to be values-aligned, highly organized, bring exceptional user management skills, and be committed to centering equity and service in every engagement.
JustFund is seeking a mission-driven and values-aligned Director of Finance and Operations to join our growing team.
The Director of Finance and Operations will be a vital member of the JustFund team, joining the Executive leadership team and reporting to the Chief Operating Officer. The Director of Finance and Operations will be responsible for developing key operational infrastructure, providing strong fiscal oversight, and leading operations and policy development for the organization. For this role, we are seeking a candidate who will oversee key areas of organizational management, including: finance, reporting and compliance, business planning and budgeting, human resources, legal, and administration.
This position is remote and will be regularly interfacing with US-based team members across multiple time zones.
Oversee Financial Management and Legal Compliance
- Work closely with the Executive team to design and implement financial strategies consistent with the organization’s strategic direction and vision.
- Analyze and present financial reports in an accurate and timely manner; clearly communicate monthly and annual financial statements; and oversee all financial, project/program, and grants accounting.
- Lead and coordinate the annual audit process, liaise with external auditors and the finance committee of the board of directors; assess any changes necessary and ensure financial and legal compliance.
- Oversee the annual budgeting and planning process in conjunction with the CEO and COO; administer and review all financial plans and budgets; monitor progress and changes; and keep the Executive team abreast of the organization’s financial status.
- Manage organizational cash flow, prepare financial forecasts, and develop long-term finance plans to ensure organizational health and appropriate financial reserves.
- Implement a robust contracts management and financial management/reporting system; ensure that the contract billing and collection schedule is adhered to and that financial data and cash flow are steady and support operational requirements.
- Update and implement all necessary business policies and accounting practices; improve the finance department’s overall policy and procedure manual.
- Effectively communicate and present the critical financial matters to the board of directors.
- Ensure the organization adheres to all legal compliance requirements, and maintain in-depth knowledge of requirements related to day-to-day financial management, reducing legal risks, and ensuring regulatory compliance, partnering with JustFund legal team as needed.
- Work closely and transparently with all external partners including third-party vendors and consultants.
Oversee Human Resources and Administration
- Lead the planning and execution of JustFund’s human resource strategy, processes, and programs including: talent attraction, assessment, and placement; compensation, benefits, and leave; evaluation and professional development; disciplinary matters, disputes and investigations; recognition, and morale; and training and professional development.
- Further develop and implement policies, processes, training, initiatives, and surveys to support the organization's human resource compliance and strategy needs.
- Collaborate with the Executive Team to identify staffing needs, execute best practices for talent management, and ensure that hiring processes are consistent, unbiased, and streamlined.
- Maintain knowledge of trends, best practices, regulatory changes, and new technologies in human resources while applying this knowledge to communicate changes in policy, practice, and resources to the Executive Team.
- Thoughtfully commit to and engage in JustFund’s equity work, building and maintaining internal systems, and deploying the organization's resources to reflect a commitment to anti-racism, social justice, and the dismantlement of oppression.
- Consistently look for ways to continue creating an equitable and joyful culture by assessing what is working and what can be improved.
- Monitor and ensure JustFund’s compliance with federal, state, and local employment laws and regulations, and recommended best practices.
- Establish and manage a comprehensive training program to educate employees regarding staff tools, policies, and procedures.Manage the strategy related to team meetings and retreats, ensuring all team gatherings and meetings are used efficiently and strategically.
- Minimum of a BA, ideally with an MBA/CPA or related degree.
- At least 8-10 years of overall professional experience; ideally six-plus years of financial and operations management experience.
- Demonstrated experience with final responsibility for the quality and content of all financial data, reporting and audit coordination for either a division or significant program area, and has preferably overseen a human resources function previously.
- SHRM-CP or SHRM-SCP or comparable human resources certification is a plus.
- Ability to translate financial concepts to – and to effectively collaborate with -- programmatic and fundraising colleagues who do not necessarily have finance backgrounds.
- A track record managing compliance regulations in or for 501(c)3 and 501(c)(4) organizations.
- A track record in grants management.
- Technology savvy with experience selecting and overseeing software installations and managing relationships with software vendors; knowledge of accounting and reporting software.
- Commitment to training programs that maximize individual and organization goals across the organization including best practices in human resources activities.
- A successful track record in setting priorities; keen analytic, organization and problem solving skills which support and enable sound decision making.
- Excellent communication and relationship building skills with an ability to prioritize, negotiate, and work with a variety of internal and external stakeholders.
- The ability to multitask effectively and wear many hats in a fast-paced environment.
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and dedication to the mission of JustFund.
Total Compensation (Salary and Benefits)
The Director of Finance and Operations is a full-time position, and we offer a holistic total compensation package that includes a base salary and benefits. The annual salary budget for this position will be between $100,000 - $120,000, commensurate with experience. All full-time staff are eligible for our benefits package including:
- Medical, vision, and dental insurance
- 401k plan
- Paid time off (including holidays and sick time)
- Wellness stipend
- Home office equipment allowance
- Cell phone and internet stipend
- Professional development stipend and access to professional development opportunities
How to Apply
Applicants should apply by clicking here.
Black people, people of color, indigenous people, women, femmes, gender noncomforming people, persons with disabilities, justice involved or formerly incarcerated people, and LGBTQIA+ people are particularly encouraged to apply.
We encourage individuals to submit their application for consideration even if they believe they do not have all of the preferred qualifications. We review applications on a rolling basis, and look forward to hearing from you.
JustFund is committed to having a values-driven, transparent, healthy, and collaborative culture. If the JustFund team can make the application process more accessible through accommodation in the recruitment process, please let us know by emailing [email protected].
Working With Us
At JustFund, we are committed to diversity, inclusion, and racial equity. JustFund is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate on the basis of actual or perceived race, color, creed, religion, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, age, sex or gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, lactation and related medical conditions), gender identity or gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, military service and veteran status, physical or mental disability, protected medical condition as defined by applicable state or local law, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws and ordinances. Our management team is dedicated to ensuring the fulfillment of this policy with respect to recruitment, hiring, placement, promotion, transfer, training, compensation, benefits, employee activities, access to facilities and programs, and general treatment during employment.